Saturday 1 August 2015

My LOWCW contribution


I know today is the last day for "Legends of Western Cinema Week" (hosted at "Meanwhile in Rivendell" and "A lantern in her hand") I really meant to do this earlier:) ok no excuses lets get into it. I haven't watched many westerns, I can only think of "The Lone Ranger" 2013 (here is the link to the review I did on "The Lone Ranger 2013") But I have posted so many reviews lately, so I thought I would just share the western costume that I recently made for my brother (still need to make the spurs) but here it is.


He wasn't the most willing model but I dragged him into it. 


We got a big roll of cloth that looked leathery (but was really soft)


I always use what we have on hand, I found a cowboy straw hat but that didn't look quite authentic enough, so I sewed the cloth on it.


I cut three strips of cream colored cloth and braided them to decorate the hat.


The chaps are strung on to the belt to keep them up (and we found a belt that says "pioneer" on it so that fits the theme)


I also made a vest (but you can't button it up)


And of course a bandana, It was interesting to read about all the uses a bandana had (yes I research when making costumes:) a bandana kept dust out of a cowboy's mouth and nose, it was tied over the hat to keep his ears warm when it was cold, it filtered water and was used as a bandage, really quite essential.


We had found a pair of boots at our local thrift store that looked like this.


I covered those in faux leather too.


Then all that was needed was a shirt and a pair of Levis to complete the look. The spurs will be a strip of cloth tied around the base of the boot with washers hanging off the edge to make a clicking sound when he walks.

My sister and I went to a western themed mystery dinner in May, here is the link to the post I did on our costumes.

And I have another tutorial coming soon!


7 comments:

  1. Ooh! Thanks for participating!:D You made that for your brother?! Wow! 'T'is impressive:) Don't forget to leave a link to this post here so that everyone else can read it!:D

    http://allthingsbonnyandbeautiful.blogspot.com/2015/07/listen-up-yall.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to do that, thanks Olivia!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, that is adorable!! What a lucky little brother. I wish someone would make me a cowboy outfit! :-)
    Thanks for your contribution, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a fun week reading everybody's western posts!

      Delete
  3. That is a great costume! I love how your repurposed stuff to fit it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love to craft and create, and if I don't have something specific I use what I an scrounge up.

      Delete
  4. What a cute costume! I love the idea of covering the boots and hat with leather-look cloth -- that's quite brilliant!

    ReplyDelete